Friday, August 22, 2008

And you could hear the pages flapping in the wind blown book of my days

A few weeks ago my GF and I spent a drunken weekend at the beach in Rehoboth, DE. During a particularly snockered moment, I decided to sing karaoke. There were two Indigo Girls songs in the book to choose from - Fill It Up Again (which I "sang") and (SHOCKING!!!) Closer to Fine. Why FIUA? I don't know...seemed random, but whatev. So, in my inebriated state, as I publicly slaughtered the song that Emily Saliers probably spent months, if not years, crafting, I recall having this thought:

"I had NO idea that these were the words to this song!"

SO! - In honor of Emily and her genius, and because of the fact that I have not given her lyrics the attention that they deserve, I am posting them here. Enjoy.

Won't have you see me as your sad sack Lost my something and I can't get it back
Or a kill on your trophy rack I checked my schedule now my train is rolling down a track
Past the sadness of the salt flats To the prospect of the land fat
Or just a lazy orange house cat On the sofa where I'll be put up
You've been the hole in my sky, my shrinking water supply
Before my well runs dry I'm going round round round the bend
Fill it up again
I'd like to say that it was clear to me Love triangle geometry
But in the end it's still a mystery The placement of affection and the disarray
I gathered up the courage that it took Made that bed and took one last look
And you could hear the pages flapping in the wind blown Book of my days, my days (refrain) One tank gone second thoughts are on my mind
What's this trip gonna cost me this time
The devil I know is starting to look awfully kind
But the new road is an old friend
Fill it up again (refrain montage)

3 comments:

Katie said...

This song is my cell phone ring, and I faithfully sing it every single time I go to the gas station.

Katie said...

Oh, and by the way, when I write my series of romance novels with titles stolen from Indigo Girls' songs, "Love Triangle Geometry" will be the second one, after "The Flora and the Fauna of Your Heart," of course.

P.S. I don't know why my name shows up as "Katherine," but it freaks me out.

liz said...

I'm assuming that these will be lesbian romance novels. Or, excuse me - queer romance novels. with girls.